It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Programmer for the boiler.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:44 pm 

Just looked at some old threads and have found that my problem is a common one in so much as I don't have control over the boiler, all rads with TRVs and that's it, so I need to fit a cheap straight forward programmer, the boiler diagram shows a programmer as an extra with two wires from it, back to the boiler, is that all I need? it also shows a separate unit, which I think is the thermostat, also with two wires back to the boiler which I don't need, so do these programmers only have two wires? The boiler is a "Leblanc" model NGVA28-4H. Thankyou

Post subject: Re: Programmer for the boiler.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
There are 6 different types of the "Leblanc" model NGVA28-4H., the Acléis BAS NOx , Egalis Plus , Acléis , Mégalis , Egalis Ballon , Odéalis once I know the right model, I might be able to help you a bit better

But seeing that its a Bosch, if they are anything like the UK Worcester Bosch boilers, I would not hold out too much hope with the boiler

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:14 pm 

Not worth spending a lot if the boiler is as Peake said why not just buy a cheap plug in timer which turns on and off twice a day. I've done it in the past and it worked ok.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

I get to see about a dozen and a half boilers a year, when I break them down for scrap metal for my son and his workers, what metal they pull out when doing a refurbishment job, they drop off in the yard, I then sort it by what metal, and if copper tube, slice it into lengths that will go into a dust bin, brass is either screwed or sliced off, and goes in another bin, it gives me a bit of beer money, and keeps me out of mischive

Frisquet boilers are in my opinion the best gas boiler of all times, solid copper water drum with copper flue tubes with SS burnt gas heat diffusers, bronze burner shield with SS gas burner flame diffusers, I might get to see about one a year, and most of them have been installed for 30 or 40 years

Chaffoteaux boilers have copper heat exchanger tubes and copper fins, the rest is plastic and SS

Nearly all the other gas boilers use SS flat film, heat exchangers, get a bit of crud in the heat exchanger, and it could be, good by boiler, because the time to replace the heat exchanger, and the cost of the heat exchanger would almost equal a new boiler

The UK Worcester Bosch boilers, the biggest piece of crap I have come across in a long time (where's the spitting smilie when you need one), has got sharp edges to the metal casing, put together with twist tags and pop rivets,(at least the continental boiler makers use nuts and bolts, and screws to put the boiler cover together) it was not service friendly, and whilst most boiler controls have computerised controls with plug in circuit boards, bugger one of these and its by by boiler in most cases, but the UK Worcester Bosch boiler which by the way is only approved for use in the UK and Eire, I came across had an all singing, and dancing set of controls but with a 30 year out of date electro-mechanical time clock built in to the user control front panel

Most of the boilers I pull apart with the exception of the Frisquet boilers, are on average between 7 and 15 years old, got miles of plastic bits like pump impeller bodies, manifolds, etc all slotted together with rubber O rings and bloody great metal U clips to hold the bits together, get an O ring leaking and it could be boiler off the wall to replace the O ring

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Spectrum2 wrote:
Just looked at some old threads and have found that my problem is a common one in so much as I don't have control over the boiler, all rads with TRVs and that's it, so I need to fit a cheap straight forward programmer, the boiler diagram shows a programmer as an extra with two wires from it, back to the boiler, is that all I need? it also shows a separate unit, which I think is the thermostat, also with two wires back to the boiler which I don't need, so do these programmers only have two wires? The boiler is a "Leblanc" model NGVA28-4H. Thankyou

Upon rereading your post spectrum 2, and taking pot luck when diving into the sadly lacking in detail "gumph" on the EM Leblanc web site, I see that there could be provision for a programmer and thermostat, if the boiler model will take both programmer and thermostat, I would fit both, the programmer is only like a sophisticated time clock which can, in the right conditions time separately both central heating and domestic hot water circuits, and the thermostat can give more precise control over the heating circuits, by shutting down the boiler when the room is up to temperature, with the proviso that you dont leave the window/s or door/s open when the boiler is in central heating mode

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 am 

Thanks all, Peake the model is "Megaalis NGVA28-HB" as said we are only renting, the boiler has not been used until we moved in, in March, we hope to have our new house re-built by September 2018 so don't want to spend much :YMPRAY: this disaster has cost us a lot already, so recommendation for a timer please and if poss guidance to which terminals to connect it too, by the look of the diagram in the instructions it a two wire connection to the "ST19" block, terminals 7&8, if fitting a stat it would be same block but terminals F&A, thankyou.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Spectrum2 wrote:
Thanks all, Peake the model is "Megaalis NGVA28-HB" as said we are only renting, the boiler has not been used until we moved in, in March, we hope to have our new house re-built by September 2018 so don't want to spend much :YMPRAY: this disaster has cost us a lot already, so recommendation for a timer please and if poss guidance to which terminals to connect it too, by the look of the diagram in the instructions it a two wire connection to the "ST19" block, terminals 7&8, if fitting a stat it would be same block but terminals F&A, thankyou.

Spectrum2, I cannot find any details for a Megaalis NGVA28-HB on the net, the nearest I could find are these two links, http://elmleblanc-fr.resource.bosch.com ... s14-24.pdf ,boiler details WITH NO wiring diagrams

https://www.bosch-climate.fr/files/Noti ... 6_FR_1.pdf , Room stat programmer

Budget about 150€ for the programmer/stat plus fitting

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:13 am 

Having had a further look at this I noticed that the electrician had wired the boiler to a plug! :-? so "Papibryns" suggestion got me thinking, its a basic boiler, with a plug, so now its a basic boiler with a plug in timer fitted, the timer I had does multiple on/off cycles so its set up and working, TRVs on the rads should give me a small amount of control over the heating, so no coming downstairs to switch it on and off, I know it means we only have hot water between the "on" phases, but we have a dishwasher, so no problem at the kitchen sink. :D thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Death of a Chaffoteaux boiler, it took me about 15 minutes to rip this one apart, a few photos to show what goes into a cheapie boiler

I had to go to a pig farm which had one of these boilers, typically fitted by a tight arse farmer who did not read the regulations and thought that he could save a few bob, by not running the flue above the ridge line

My mate said that the boiler was eclat, I would call that a French understatement, the front cover was found about 50 metres away after being blown through two sheets of asbestos, parts of the boiler were never found, the heat exchanger was in shreds, I think that the over heat sonde was faulty or not fitted correctly

The flat film heat exchanger is the stainless steel rectangular box above the round vase d'expansion, get that blocked with calcaire and its boiler off the wall to replace it

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forum Admin