It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Where can you put a toilet?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm 

Someone got in touch with us to ask about our caretaking & changeover services so we went to meet them & view the property.
Over coffee on their terrace they described the downstairs bedroom as an 'ensuite double with wc and shower'.
We were then somewhat taken aback :-O to see a shower cabinet tucked into the corner of the miniscule double bedroom where you'd expect to see a bedside table and alongside the bed a toilet, about the level one's knees would be when lying down in the bed.
Further into the house a semi-spiral space-saving open staircase leads up to the first floor through a hatch, and as you go up you nearly bang your head on a wc sited immediately to the left of the hatch, in an open-plan sleeping area.
Now I know that French regs (article R111-3 du CCH) were relaxed a few years ago so that toilets (as in designated rooms with a door and a toilet inside :lol: ) can now open into living and eating areas so long as ventilation is provided, you no longer need to have a lobby area between the two.
The CCH says you must have a "au moins une pièce spéciale pour la toilette, avec une douche ou une baignoire et un lavabo", but I can't find anywhere where it says you can't have a toilet sitting in your bedroom! Does anybody know if such a legal reg exists, and if so where?
And on a lighter note, how would you feel about a loo in your bedroom? Or turning up at your holiday let and finding the circumstances I have described? :-BD or :-Q?

Post subject: Re: Where can you put a toilet?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:24 pm 

Location: Norwich, Anglia de l'est et la république de francophilie
I 'd draw a line at a loo in the bedroom! When house hunting back in 2006 we were shown a place in the Aude (formerly a railway station on the Carcassonne to Limoux line) that boasted an en suite bath in the particulars. The bath was ensconced on a plinth at the end of the bed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 pm 

Never accept it, I know that a lot a French houses have a bidet in the bedroom which makes sense and is use for a "petition besion natural".
Seeing some of the escape to the country etc programs on TV it seems to be the in thing to have a giant claw footed bath in the bedroom? But a look never.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Definitely :-q for a loo in the bedroom. It sounds like another case of people wanting to travel first class with a second class ticket (if you see what I mean !).

I find it hard to believe that a loo in a bedroom would pass any sort of planning/building regs from a hygiene point of view. Suppose you were sleeping next to the loo and your husband/partner or whatever got up in the night to do his business :shock:

The first time I saw a bath in the bedroom (it was a large room) was in Provence in a private house and the owners said it was a way of keeping the air moist ! There was no screen - but equally, there was no loo in there !

It would be interesting to see how they advertise it though I doubt it would get any stars on Tripadvisor.

I would think that it's one thing to do that if you are living there, but quite another for letting. I'd have a word with the local planning people to see if it's legal before getting involved there !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:00 pm 

No way are we getting involved, Blaze, and I can't think why the people who put us in touch with them did so!
I have organised a large claw-foot bath in a bedroom for a client, with a screen, and it works fine.
Before leaving the UK I remember the tussles the architctural side of the business I worked in had with Building Regs over a respite home near Gatwick Airport, designed like a comfy hotel for disabled people who couldn't fly on holiday with their families. The spec was for bedrooms with bathroom facilities without doors, and it took ages for the Inpsectors to agree an exception to the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 pm 

liz wrote:
Before leaving the UK I remember the tussles the architctural side of the business I worked in had with Building Regs over a respite home near Gatwick Airport, designed like a comfy hotel for disabled people who couldn't fly on holiday with their families. The spec was for bedrooms with bathroom facilities without doors, and it took ages for the Inpsectors to agree an exception to the rules.

Wouldn't that have been down to needing two doors between food preparation and toilet areas?

But your French scenario sounds "different" - certainly could make for interesting Trip Advisor reviews!

I have just returned from daughter's student pad in Italy - the shower sprayed directly over the toilet - but it was at least in a separate room!

J

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

niemeyjt wrote:
I have just returned from daughter's student pad in Italy - the shower sprayed directly over the toilet - but it was at least in a separate room!J

I saw lots of studios with "bathrooms" like that in Hamburg in the early 70s. There were loads of modern, purpose-built blocks of one-room flats, some tiny which were very cheap but if you paid a bit more, you could get a slightly bigger room. I don't think that then the were particularly aimed at students but I do remember wondering at the time why they didn't build that sort of thing in the UK !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:30 pm 

niemeyjt wrote:
I have just returned from daughter's student pad in Italy - the shower sprayed directly over the toilet - but it was at least in a separate room!

J

Today I believe this is called a wet room. I call it a wet @rse and always wonder why Lidl or Aldi have not yet done a ceiling mounter bog roll holder.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 pm 

When we were house hunting in rural France we were shown an old property that boasted en suite toilet.

On entering the bedroom we enquired after the invisible en suite and the agent opened the middle door of a set of fitted wardrobes.

There it was. :o

Proudly he pointed to the original, the little hut at the bottom of the garden to emphasise the improvement. 8-|

On the subject of Italy I used to go for customs clearance to Concorezzo, near Milan. Alongside the lorry park there was a family run drivers' restaurant.

The toilets, of course, were, in lorry drivers' parlance 'spread-axles' and, on enquiring after the shower the duckboard resting against the wall and the shower head above were pointed out.

Surprisingly it worked very well, no need for toilet paper you see Andy. ;) :)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:21 am 

Sorry but the thought of even a bath in the bedroom is a no no for me. I cannot understand why anyone would want one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/967912876580746/ SWAT South West Animal Team fundraisers

http://www.closfleurionline.com The home from home for your cat whilst you are on holiday