It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Camera upgrade.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:34 pm 

Next week we are going over to Bury St Ed for a few daze and a rest from packing! Whilst there I will be getting into Jessops and having a gander at the Canon 77D and the new 80D. I will probably go for the 80Dm, just the body as I an very pleased with the Canon 18 - 200 telephoto lens I have. They do a part ex too. Not very much given on the body of my 500D, but it is over 7 years old.

It's something I have been think about for an age, since the 80D first appeared and one of the features I have wanted for several years now ia the time lapse jobbie. I'll be able to set it on me and see my brain cell at work :-? if I can work up some enthusiasm that is?

Anyway I will see if I can post some info on when I get used to it. That should only take a year or so? :ymsick: :O3

The high point is that we are staying in a BREWERY!!!

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: Camera upgrade.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:55 am 

I lived in B st Eds for 10 years before we moved here, just such a lovely place. Worked at the Brewery too! Free can of IPA every Friday morning on my desk, can't be bad.

I love the Abbey Gardens, and even the new shopping precinct blends in well with the rest of the town. But, I hate to say it, like all small towns, its dying due to large supermarkets being built a few miles out of town. Last time I went to B st E it was so quiet, and I counted 11 places to get coffee in just 2 streets and it seems to be full of charity shops, mobile phone shops and cafes. Such a shame.

Sorry JJ, stole your thread. Good luck with the camera. I would love to be able to take good photos, but can't be doing with lugging a heavy lot of gear around with me, so make do with my trusty digital or phone.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/967912876580746/ SWAT South West Animal Team fundraisers

http://www.closfleurionline.com The home from home for your cat whilst you are on holiday

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:31 am 

I remember going to Leeson's Photographic in BSE and buying my first camera - a Russian Zenith E and some S42 threaded non-descript 400mm lens and some extension tubes - not to mention a Zenith Darkroom Enlarger and later a Canon AE-1. Those were the days!

As for town centre decline - it happens everywhere - there are no parking charges on the Internet even on Tuesday afternoons!

J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:36 am 

sueindoors wrote:
I would love to be able to take good photos, but can't be doing with lugging a heavy lot of gear around with me, so make do with my trusty digital or phone.

I've learned a new skill, with my new Nikon Coolpix B500. I'm not a proper photographer, just take pics of dogs really, but this one does really well at covering my mistakes.

I learned how to do the 6 shot bursts, but then found it very difficult to choose which to throw away back at home. The result was the first couple of dog files had 100 pictures in them. :shock:

Then, with the aid of the screen which angles upwards to allow me not to hold it in front of my face, I discovered that videos were easier, but could never decide when to vid and when to pic. :-?

Then the other day I noticed a new button on the computer screen when reviewing videos. Snapshot !!! Way to go. Now I don't do anymore pictures, trying to catch the moment when a lively dog is still for a moment, such a waste of effort. :lol:

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:52 pm 

Just to add I have been checking price of latest Nikon and it is way cheaper in Switzerland - even reclaiming UK VAT.

So, check French prices on the 77D and 80D before you fork out in Jessops.

J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm 

I did check J and they ain't as cheap as in the U.K. and they don't/won't do part ex. So, apart from the expense of joining you ^:)^ ^:)^

Ta for the idea though..

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:39 pm 

Maybe I see different prices to you?

Jessops want GBP948 for the 80D - or GBP863 after cashback

Darty offer the 80D for EUR859 (= GBP 789)

Digitech offer the 80D for CHF988 (= GBP790)

It turns out Nikon were overcharging UK buyers as well! Anyway, forewarned is forearmed.

J

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 am 

I baught a new canon in feb. this year whilst back in the UK, not the 80d as its way over my budget, i did a lot of online reserch and tried jessops in Canterbury but walked out (not the only one to do so) as they just didn't seem interested in serving me just chattering/laughing amongst themselves. In the end got a better deal at Argos, still got the old but good fuji finepix for sell,give away almost.