It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Stud walls
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:11 am 

Getting a lot of conflicting information on the composition of a stud wall in my new build. I want to use wood for all the walls, have been told I have to use metal on the outside walls, but wood is acceptable for all internal walls, also being told via the web that it doesn't matter and now some French builders are using wood throughout the whole build. I don't like metal framing in my experience of looking around new builds, it appears to be flimsy, I have been able to push against many of these walls, most peoples answer is to strengthen them with wood :| . So what are the regulations and does it really matter?

Post subject: Re: Stud walls
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:27 pm 

I cannot help with the regulations, but from our experience there is nothing wrong with metal studs if correctly installed - both by professionals and by ourselves when we decided that the nice looking stone walls were actually not very nice and were as cold as (what is the opposite of hell?). This means making sure that on external walls the studs are fixed back to the wall at appropriate distances and for internal walls that the uprights are doubled and fixed to one another. All studs should be max 45cm spacing. There is always a temptation to skimp on the metal work and that is where the flimsy walls come from.

The one major advantage over wood is that if you are in a termite area (and I think you will be), steel is not that attractive to the beasties.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 pm 

Been using metal stud for years in the commercial industry mainly shops in shopping centres (fire regulations) but as said, if fitted correctly it is fine also less weight less space, goes up quicker with correct tools ie crimper, collated screws and driver also if insulating you are insulating into the stud section. Have used it on all my build in a Victorian house conversion plus many other jobs but i still like timber so still use it where needs must.

Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:49 am 

I did some work for an idiot a few years back and he put all his studs, metal, at 60cm, I arrived one morning to find he had cut all the round back boxes in to the plasterboard, one of those people that had to show how bloody clever they are. End result, after I had put the boxes the right way up, was that he had put them halfway between the uprights, so when the faceplates were all on and you pulled a plug from the socket the whole wall flexed out, but then that was my fault??. I would say 40 cm for the uprights, and I would use the wider metal for internal walls.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:36 am 

Started with the wood now, thanks for your replies, its CLS profile 90x40, all studs are at 400 centers, very strong.