It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Getting the most from your Kindle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 pm 
Thanks to your help, I'm slowly getting there.

I can now read the Kindle pages on the PC. :ymhug:

Next task is to try and work out how to print a small section.

The file I am looking at is The Guardian, which includes a couple of recipes which MOH would like to print out and keep. However, when I copy the relevant section into a word processor for subsequent printing, the instructions are fine, but the list of ingredients (presumably in some sort of table) do not copy correctly. Now trying to find out why.

Interestingly, although the Kindle display is in black and white, of course, when copying to and displaying on the PC the pictures (at least for these recipes) are in full colour. How do they do that I wonder?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 pm 
majic wrote:
Interestingly, although the Kindle display is in black and white, of course, when copying to and displaying on the PC the pictures (at least for these recipes) are in full colour. How do they do that I wonder?

Have checked, and ALL the pictures from the Kindle Guardian are in colour when copied to the PC.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:26 pm 

Going back to charging your Kindle. I have foud that my TomTom mains charger works fine with my Touch. Just plug the standard USB plug into the charger and the other end into the Kindle.

One thing that I would like to know is why, when both my Kindle and my MacBook Pro are on wifi on the same Livebox router, can't my MacBook see the Kindle?

If I go to the Livebox page on my browser I can see both on there

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm 
Having sometimes to go into hospital, it can be frustrating if there is no WIFI connection. However, I note that the Kindle Touch 3G operates on the telephone network, with the "call charges" being covered by Amazon. Can anyone tell me then, if I had one of these, but registered with Amazon UK, could I use it, free, whilst in France?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:37 pm 

I can see no reason why it wouldn't work, that is what the 3G is intended for.

Stock it up with books before you go, just in case

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm 

majic wrote:
Having sometimes to go into hospital, it can be frustrating if there is no WIFI connection. However, I note that the Kindle Touch 3G operates on the telephone network, with the "call charges" being covered by Amazon. Can anyone tell me then, if I had one of these, but registered with Amazon UK, could I use it, free, whilst in France?

Thanks in advance.

I am terribly late in seeing this, and hope that things resolved well for you, but I can tell you that the 3G version does work for free in France, and in the US too, for that matter. I haven't had the happiest history with my Kindle (I am on number 4, now) but when it works, it is a wonderful thing. I, too have just been in hospital for a shoulder op, which means that I can't really hold things terribly well until I heal. The Kindle is a godsend for this, as trying to keep a paperback open and turn the pages without losing you place when you are one handed is very difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm 

I don't know why your 3g doesn't work, my OH's works perfectly - when she has a signal that is !

The whole idea of the Kindle 3g was so books could be downloaded virtually anywhere in the world so it's hard to see why France should be singled out for exclusion.

Incidentally no need to faff about with Calibre or any other software, do your conversions online with Convertfiles ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:56 pm 

That looks interesting for converting files Ernie. What is the file type on Kindle? Any idea??

I haven't got the 3G but have no problem with just the WIFI so far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 pm 

The kindle uses .mobi

I've used the site and it works well and quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 pm 

ErnieY wrote:
I don't know why your 3g doesn't work, my OH's works perfectly - when she has a signal that is !

The whole idea of the Kindle 3g was so books could be downloaded virtually anywhere in the world so it's hard to see why France should be singled out for exclusion.

If you mean me, I was saying that it does work. I have had problems with 3 previous kindles - with the first one the 3g never worked - faulty modem apparently. The second one started to lose battery power rapidly, so that at the end of a week I needed to recharge it, rather than the month as before. The third one stopped getting 3g just after the guarantee ran out, and touch wood, this one works ok, in the UK, France and the US.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:49 pm 

Yes but a senior moment or dyslexia, sorry :ymblushing:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:17 pm 

as a non tec person can i ask the following.........do i need to buy my kindle from UK?(for english books)...............do i need a UK address?.......will they deliver to France?........is the WIFI inclusive ie free or do i have to pay a supplier ie orange?..................can you charge kindle overnight via USB to PC? or is it better to buy the correct charger?.....................sorry to be a pain but being on dialup it takes ages to find answers .............thanks................pm me if you prefer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm 

There are lots of posts on the subject.

Try the Search tab up there ^ and enter Kindle in the first field then click on the search button.

Happy reading

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm 

Hi Dave did that and got bogged down by all the differant post what i need is some kind person to just type yes or no answers to my questions ........... .PLEASE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 pm 

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:50 pm 

Mojo I bought Dave's kindle in Uk and on my amazon uk account he bought mine from Amazon France and that is registered to the same account in UK this way we can share some books

we share the same charger on reflection should have bought a french mains charger much quicker to charge that way

we just use our wifi you might have to plug in the kindle to your pc to transfer the books

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 pm 

To charge the Kindle all you need is the lead and a USB charger, or you can charge it from a USB port on a PC etc.

USB is USB !

No charge for WiFi unless you try to connect to a 3rd party service which is fee based.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 pm 

Mojo, I use my TomTom GPS mains/USB charger and as Ernie said USB is USB is USB. They all use the same plugs/sockets/chargers, so if you have a mains USB charger either with no lead and a USB socket in it or a lead and, I was just about to say a mini USB plug on the end, but the Kindle, in their wisdom have got their own mini USB plug on the end of their cable.

so start again. If you have a mains USB charger with no cable attached then you just plug your Kindle cable into it, big end, and the small end goes into the Kindle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:58 pm 

I am no techie but I do know that Mojo only has dial up :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 pm 

Mojo would be better off with the 3g and wifi version. Our french place is in the middle of no-where, and we do not have wifi, yet i am still able to download books by 3G.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:47 pm 

Assuming he/she gets a 3G signal !

A high price to pay for a Kindle if not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 am 

In that case there should be a McDooDoos somewhere close-ish and they all have free wifi? Just park in the carpark for a few mins. ;;) ;;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Admin

mojo wrote:
as a non tec person can i ask the following.........do i need to buy my kindle from UK?(for english books)...............do i need a UK address?.......will they deliver to France?........is the WIFI inclusive ie free or do i have to pay a supplier ie orange?..................can you charge kindle overnight via USB to PC? or is it better to buy the correct charger?.....................sorry to be a pain but being on dialup it takes ages to find answers .............thanks................pm me if you prefer

1 - No you don't need to buy from the UK. You can buy here and register a UK address (which won't be checked so can be anywhere) for it on Amazon in your Kindle Account settings then buy content from Amazon UK

2 - See above - the address you use for Kindle downloads is immaterial so any UK address you feel like using (10 Downing Street?) will work

3 - Order from France

4 - Wi-fi comes from whatever you've got at home or somewhere there's free wi-fi that doesn't require passwords or signing in (eg. MacDonalds). If you buy the 3G version it'll work anywhere there's a mobile signal and is entirely free. I've used it in France, Spain and the UK in this way.

5 - It comes with a charging cable you can plug into your PC or any other mains adapter with a USB port on it. The higher the amps rating on the charger, the quicker it'll charge up, but they all work - it's simply a 5 volt power supply delivered down the wire.

It's always better to have this information on the forum than in a PM, so the next person who wants to know can find it in a search.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:05 pm 

ErnieY wrote:
Assuming he/she gets a 3G signal !

A high price to pay for a Kindle if not.

I did the ulitmate 3G kindle test.

This august I downloaded Nigella's 'Feast' book. At the time I was in Gabon, 60kms from the Congo border with no internet or wifi whatsoever.
There was a faint mobile signal however and the book took about 25 minutes to download.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 pm 

I will add that I met up with some south Africans in an old Land cruiser returning overland from UK to SA,
At the time all the internet in the town was erratic. The south Africans had a UK registered kindle and managed to order and pay for an interflora delivery for someone back home via the wifi setting!!!

Kindles are cool!

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:01 pm 

AndrewRose wrote:
The higher the amps rating on the charger, the quicker it'll charge up, but they all work - it's simply a 5 volt power supply delivered down the wire

That's not quite true.

Like most devices the charging rate is determined by the device not the charger. In the case of the Kindle it's charging requirements are 5v 500mA which just happens to be the standard for a PC USB port.

Even if an external USB charger were able to provide more than that, 850mA and 1A chargers are common and the one Amazon supplied with OH's is 850mA, the Kindle will still only ever draw a maximum of 500mA.

Suggesting that plugging it into say a 1A charger will reduce charging time is therefore not the case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks ErnieY - you're absolutely correct - my assertion is of course only true to up a point.

It's worth making this crystal clear, because we have bought other equipment supplied with USB chargers operating at 200mA and lower: a Kindle will take considerably longer to charge when connected to one of those smaller adapters with a lesser amount of current available (a 200mA charger will take about 2.5 times longer than a 500mA charger to top up the battery, though it will still get there in the end); as Ernie points out, it won't get there any quicker with a 2A iPad charger than a 500mA USB "standard" charger or PC USB port.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:36 pm 

Have a look at chapter 6. A very interesting wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_ ... g_adapters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:50 pm 

That's why I said "Like most devices" ;)

Truth be told is it's unlikely that many will ever see, let alone possess, devices which require charging USB ports and those which do will invariably come with a suitable charger included.

Even then plugging a Kindle into it will still only result in it drawing a maximum of 500mA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:02 pm 

Off thread for a mo, but still to do with USB and charging. I have an iPod Touch. It charges from its own charger or off the USB port on our MacBook just the same as any other USB ported kit we have. But, if I plug it into my TomTom mains charger it won't charge. I would have thought that USBs were all the same and even though it has a 30 pin plug for the iPod it must still have the same power pin on the USB end?

I suppose it is an Apple though ;;) ;;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:15 pm 

Jonzjob wrote:
I suppose it is an Apple though ;;) ;;)
Pretty well on the money !

This is the pinout for the iTouch end, see pin 27 (Data +)

http://pinoutsguide.com/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

USB is USB is USB except when it's Apple USB !

Despite the above between two iPhones and an iTouch in the house - and all original Apple leads - they all seem to charge quite happily from any USB port be that on a PC, or mains adapter, or in the car so go figure !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:50 pm 

I've been given a recommendation for anyone with a amazon uk account.

The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window.

by
Jonas Jonasson

only 20p .uk but 8euros .fr

this comes from a highly respected and well read friend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm 

Thanks for the tip, just bought it for my 93 years young Mum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm 

scooby wrote:
I've been given a recommendation for anyone with a amazon uk account.

The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window.

by
Jonas Jonasson

Many thanks for that recommendation. I have just finished reading it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit like Forrest Gump on steroids.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:35 pm 

mik wrote:
scooby wrote:
I've been given a recommendation for anyone with a amazon uk account.The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window.byJonas Jonasson
Many thanks for that recommendation. I have just finished reading it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit like Forrest Gump on steroids.
I downloaded it after Scooby's recommendation. I'm only on chapter 8 and I'm afraid I'm finding it rather boring. I've read two other books in the mean time. Please tell me it gets better and I'll try and finish it. I don't normally leave a book unfinished. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next