It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Solar (photovoltaic) panels
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:55 pm 

As we are finally planing our escape from the UK and buying stuff ready to ship over....1 expensive item is solar panels for using off grid......prices have dropped here in the UK and I can get them trade UK but can anyone point me towards a French, Italian, German or Spanish supplier where I may save quite a bit due to the exchange rate.

Oh also 2 x 4kw inverters off grid or maybe 1 x 8 kw.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Post subject: Re: Solar panles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

How much is "trade" for photovoltaic panels in the UK Captain ? I can then work out how much you'll pay in euros and see if the exchange rate makes a lot of difference to the sterling price.

Spanish prices are good but you have to be very careful about the panel specs.

I'm looking for about 2kw of high quality mono panels right now.

I'll be buying the batteries and controller in France - although Spanish prices are a wee bit cheaper, I prefer to work with local suppliers.

If we could work together on this we could get a better deal but I'd like to get our system sorted out in the next few weeks.

Post subject: Re: Solar (photovoltaic) panels
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

...and what are you going to do with 8 kilowatts of electricity ? :-o

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:01 pm 

Hi Irene

Thanks for the reply, The latest ones being shoved or roofs here in Yorkshire at an alarming rate are about £200.00 waiting for spec but I would think they will be 250w 24volt I have seen some mono for 175.00 250w x 24volt My eldest has been fitting them and a couple of friends are fitting them daily for a company called ashadegreener. rent a roof government scheme

Re 8 KW would have 2 x 4 kw so that 1 of the 4 kw can switch in when called for I have some big wood working machines that are 3 phase......so I thought I will just install all at the same time. we will set up on frames while we are building to run everything.

Reason for question rather buy and bring with me if prices are better than Europe as I don't want to have to go back to the UK for stuff
I will be having kitchen units shipped over from our trade supplier in Yorkshire but that's a long way off yet unless the units we want come through as special sometimes on monthly offers.

All the best Steve
BTW thanks for the lovely review

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 pm 

Oh! I already have a 3 phase AC wind generator to bring over for those dark days plus will have water turbine belt & braces I know but that's the way I am LOL

When there's power cuts here we seem to be the only house with backup power. :|

regards
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:25 pm 

Been looking at French suppliers and because of the exchange rate the Panasonic mono range seem to come out on top but speaking to a friend that installs for a British company he has said for me to wait till April as the market is changing because of government tariffs, and all the staff their are lots of them been given notice of employment termination including my friend (well I know several installers for the company)

He has also just installed for a private house in north Yorkshire a system complete, was shipped over direct to the customer from France that also heats the house by way of a space underneath the panels and collected via air ducting and is pumped around the house. The French manufacturer sent two technicians over to show my friend how to install he was quite impressed, so awaiting details of the company.

Watch this space if interested in this type of system. also will be installing a wind turbine and a pelton wheel turbine.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:08 pm 

I would be really interested in a small photovoltaic system to help with running costs now that we have a pool which Mrs Elstow insists must be heated. Unfortunately, the roof ridge of my house runs north east to south west, but to the east we have tall trees which would cast shadows over the panels for the greater part of the time that the sun is on them. I did think of putting some on the Abris de jardin (which houses the pool pump and dosing system). This roof is 4.5m long by about 2m wide on each slope. I am finding it very difficult to get a small and fairly cheap system, though. Any help gratefully received.

Speaking of solar, I just saw this. Is there any limit to human stupidity?

http://winningdemocrats.com/town-refuses-solar-panels-because-they-will-suck-up-all-the-energy-from-the-sun/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
Elstow wrote:

Speaking of solar, I just saw this. Is there any limit to human stupidity?

http://winningdemocrats.com/town-refuses-solar-panels-because-they-will-suck-up-all-the-energy-from-the-sun/

No, the English planning regs are just as bad, http://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/advice/advice_apply/advice_apply_homes/advice_home_work2/advice_home_solar.htm

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:25 pm 

Elstow wrote:
I would be really interested in a small photovoltaic system to help with running costs now that we have a pool which Mrs Elstow insists must be heated.

Surely PV is for electricity - so you are thinking of using generated electricty to heat the water?

I would say you have two other options of keeping Mrs E warm:

1. A cheap water heating system - a neighbour did it with a coil of black pipe on a roof but I have seen others with black painted corrugated plastic - which can be freestanding and directed towards the sun.

2. An expensive hybrid system - PV and thermal - use the thermal for the pool and PV for something else.

J

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:40 pm 

niemeyjt wrote:
Elstow wrote:
I would be really interested in a small photovoltaic system to help with running costs now that we have a pool which Mrs Elstow insists must be heated.

Surely PV is for electricity - so you are thinking of using generated electricty to heat the water?
J

Yes, we have an air-source heat pump which runs off electricity and it would be nice to make a contribution to the cost of the water circulation system.
peake wrote:

Well, the planning regs don't actually believe that the panels suck heat out of the sun!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:41 pm 

Elstow wrote:
Yes, we have an air-source heat pump which runs off electricity and it would be nice to make a contribution to the cost of the water circulation system.

Switching to running an Eco filtration system would save a lot of the electricity currently wasted with the standard filtration setup and old technology pump.
Depending on what your current setup is, that filtration energy saving could lower the overall running cost of the heating by around 30-50% and obviously when the heater is off the savings of 90% in electricity for the filtration system will continue to add up negating a large amount of the overall running costs.