It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Photography - How to Improve?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm 

A bit like Lisleoise, my heart sinks when I see another super photo by Dr O, or Rebus or Pareloopy in the monthly competition. But then I also think it's great that they are taking part because it's making me think much harder about what I do. Like playing tennis with someone much better - maybe my game will improve.

But then I'd also like to know how / what other people do to get that great shot? Pareloppy says take lots - but I've been doing that for years and it's even easier with digital and 99.99% of mine are still mediocre. I can do vague misty, but that's about all! How do you guys get that superb crispness, that depth of field? So many questions....

So ... HWH and others, please may I make a request? I would love to have another thread in the photography competition section for questions and tips (eg where Pareloppy's demonstration of what you can do in photoshop could go).

Then we could chat to each other about what works / what doesn't without getting in the way of the competitions and voting. I certainly would love to learn more - in some ways digital is TOO easy - just point and shoot - whereas one day I would love to take a photo like the Orangutan and Gorilla in this month's comp.

And for anyone on TFF has no idea what I'm talking about .... take a look at this ...

http://www.thefranceforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=9624

PS: Lisleoise you are too modest, that frelon photo is superb - especially as you had to be close and not the slightest shake!

:ymhug: :ymhug:

Post subject: Re: Photography - How to Improve?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:09 pm 

I've done it SPJ, this thread is now in the photo competition section and I've made it a sticky so that it doesn't disappear amongst the old competitions.

I shall be an avid reader myself ;)

clare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent idea !
Mandy (Naylor's Ark) is also brilliant in the Photoshop area - I hope she will give us some tips as well ! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 pm 

And please, would all the experts keep things simple for us idiots/novices if we ask what must seem to you like daft questions? I've been to places like http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/, and I find the mixture there of snooty superiority, anoraky nerdiness and people being too precious hard to deal with. I'd never dare ask a simple question.
Thank you, and looking forward to your tips!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:57 am 

Clarelouise thanks. This is great!

Liz I agree about keeping it simple and I was wondering about any good photography forums for real amateurs? Any suggestions?

I've bought books but just could never get to grips with F-stops and things and so gave up. And now with digital cameras not sure whether the "traditional language" is still relevant but would like to understand what I can do to improve my chances of taking a better photo. I have what's called "intelligent ISO" on my digital which I use, but then I just point and shoot. How much do you play around with settings? For example Pareloopy, HOW did you get that picture of your son upside down so sharp?

When your taking pictures of wildlife /close-ups what settings do you use to get that closeness but also good depth of field? Seems to me I either get the front of a flower/insect in focus or the back when I'm doing real close-ups!

Does anyone use a tripod? If so, do you find it helps?

I've got a Panasonic Lumix because it's small, neat and fits in my pocket, so it's easier to carry around. But I hate the fact that it only has a screen at the back and not a proper viewfinder. I can never see what I'm shooting because the light is always reflected on the screen. Will never buy a camera again without a viewfinder. Prefer my old Canon EOS, but it's big, heavy and I never really got to grips with what it could do. What camera do you have / prefer?

Please do share your "war stories" thanks. Sue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:18 am 

SPJ wrote:
PS: Lisleoise you are too modest, that frelon photo is superb - especially as you had to be close and not the slightest shake!

I did have my Nikon D40 DSLR with a zoom lens so close but not that close. The photo was cropped in slightly as there was too much carrelage around the frelon. PPChris has used the photo on his Planete Passion website I think.

I think this thread is a great idea. I often leave my cameras on the auto mode or the 'p' mode on my Nikon and leave them to set the most appropriate ISO/F stop combination.

IMO I think a lot of photo taking is in the eye - you need to have an eye on the best framing of the shot/shooting angle etc and that the camera can't do for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:51 am 

Lisleoise wrote:

IMO I think a lot of photo taking is in the eye - you need to have an eye on the best framing of the shot/shooting angle etc and that the camera can't do for you.

All my best photos are when I don't have a camera with me and I think "that would be a great shot" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:01 am 

Me too, although I nearly always do have one of my cameras with me, it's those instant moments that can't be recaptured.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:51 pm 

I too think this is an excellent idea for a topic.

I often see what "should" be a great picture, but once taken and transferred off the camera and onto the computer screen its lost its edge.

I'd like to know if it is a basic as not having a decent camera? Do these guys taking the winning shots have super dooper cameras? I hope they will come and tell us what they use...special filters? Photoshop etc (I have no idea what that is!!!LOL)

And I am definitely with Liz on this...please, please, please can we have very simple advice and nothing too technical!!!!!!

Raffles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

If I remember rightly, PP Chris Luck takes wonderful close-up photographs with a fairly ordinary digital camera (not a reflex). So I think a lot of it depends on knowing your camera's capabilities, thus getting best out of it, and good composition.

For things like insects and butterflies, which are devils for moving just when you don't want them to, I now use the facility that allows me to do 8 consecutive shots. If I use the single shot method, I have to half press the button so that the picture take is instant (I've only just learnt that..... :oops: ) Otherwise there is a brief delay between my pressing the button and the photograph actually being taken. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:08 pm 

My camera is a very basic digital & the thing I miss most is a viewfinder. If the sun is in the wrong direction I find it really difficult to see what I am taking.

(When I first got it my son was =)) at the sight of me putting the screen up to my eye!!).

I wonder if it is worth upgrading to a camera with a viewfinder?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:28 pm 
I started off digital photography with a Canon G3 - a 4 megapixel zoom compact with good control options. It's about ten years old. Most of my entries to these competitions were taken with the G3. I do like to select the sensitivity (ISO) aperture and speed combination myself, although until recently I've let the camera do the processing. I've always had a serious interest in photography and had film SLRs but could never quite afford anything that decent in the digital age so I got a bit lazy. This competition really rekindled my interest - and in particular Pareloopy's photos (I was particularly impressed with his shots of Hull and the wild garlic). The price of digital slr's has reached a point where semi-pro specifications are now relatively affordable, so I decided to buy a Pentax K20D, 14.6 megapixels and various lenses. The gorilla shot was one of the first taken with this camera - the shot is OK but I can get better results now I've had more practice.

I don't feel in any way qualified to give tips but I'll give it a go and see if anyone finds anything useful. My first step on how to improve (and that includes myself) would be picture composition and photo cropping. 3 tips for starters:

The temptation is to see a nice scene, get the camera out and snap it. Experiment with the view through the camera - take a few steps forwards, backwards or sideways and the view can improve dramatically. Getting down on your knees can transform the picture, so can climbing up a slope, lying down, etc. Have a play around. Try to eliminate eyesores and distractions from the scene.

Use the rule of thirds. Mentally divide your picture up into nine squares (3 by 3) and align points of interest on on the intersecting points. It will be much more appealing than just centering the subject, which is the instinctive way. Also, don't centre skylines or shorelines - but divide the scene one third land to two thirds sky for example (or vice versa). Here is an excellent illustration, which I've nicked from the web for ease:

If the subject was in the centre that would be OK, but the rule of thirds really adds drama. Plenty more examples will be found from googling.

Finally crop your photos. There are plenty of free photo processing tools you can download to do this (gimp, faststone, picasa etc). Try to get a good composition in the first place but even so most photos will benefit from cropping. Play around It can turn something boring into something quite dramatic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Brilliant posting, Dr O - even just doing the thirds rule would transform half the photos I've taken. Thanks for that !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I recommend Picasa. http://picasa.google.com/ It's a very basic tool and very easy to use.

You can also upload your photos to your own Google account and keep them private or make them public.

From your album in just a few clicks you can upload your photos on to the forum. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:11 pm 
Blaze wrote:
Brilliant posting, Dr O - even just doing the thirds rule would transform half the photos I've taken. Thanks for that !

Here's some tweaking to illustrate some quick and simple changes. Part 1. Hope you don't mind:
Attachment:
ml1lwy.jpg

Attachment:
ml1lwy-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:14 pm 
Part 2:
Attachment:
515vs9.jpg

Attachment:
515vs9-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:17 pm 
Final Part:

Attachment:
2n1bd06.jpg

Attachment:
2n1bd06-1.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:50 pm 
Thank you for the kind words, Dr O.
I can only tell what I have picked up myself - a lot of trial and error. But I do have a bit of a routine.
Every photo I take goes through Photoshop (full blown at home and Elements on laptop which travels with me). Elements does a really good job. I don't have any knowledge of other processing software but I'm sure they'll all have the basics that you need.
Dr O's tip of using the rule of thirds is really important. Try to do it while taking the photo. After a while it just becomes second nature.
If the photo seems to be a keeper the main things I do are:-

1) Adjust sloping horizon if necessary. Always necessary when taking shots from the back of the boat!!
2) Crop
2) This bit sounds tricky but isn't. Check the brightness levels (usually in Enhance or Image Adjustments).Look here http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/levels.htm
The first bit is the important one "Adjusting black & white point levels" but try the midtone slider as well. Can make all the difference.
3) Sharpen if necessary, using unsharp mask.

That should cover most eventualities, but other bits (saturation etc) can be tweaked to taste.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Dr O - ideas appreciated !
I've got Photoshop 7 and we've got Photoshop Elements but I haven't installed it. We even found a book called Photoshop Elements in Easy Steps. Would I do better with that rather than Photoshop 7 ? I suspect the answer will be "Yes, walk before you run" ! I have done a lot of repairing of old photographs using PS and have been very pleased with the results.

Sharpness - I've never really understood how to do that.
Cropping and adjusting brightness and contrast are no problem but I can see that I don't crop enough.
This is the bit I don't understand :
"Adjusting black & white point levels" but try the midtone slider as well. But I'll have a look at the tutorial as that will probably explain all.

Perhaps we could put before and after photos on here and our wise ones could comment ? Please ? :ympray:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:02 pm 
Blaze.
What version Elements? If it's recent it could have quite a lot of features of 7 which is quite old now (in software terms of course!!)
I use Elements 5 on the laptop (now up to 8 I think) and it does a good job. I've edited the same wakeboard shots using both Elements and CS and can get the same results.
I'm at work so I may be wrong, but if I remember, in Elements "Levels" is under "Enhance - Adjust Brightness/Contrast" and usually the short-cut is Ctrl+L. Just adjust the sliders under the graph looking thingy!!!! (Technical terms :)) )
What I wouldn't use on Elements is the "Auto" buttons (except the auto horizon straightener, which is really useful). They can sometimes give you strange results.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

It's an early Elements - 2 or 3, I think.
The PS 7 was a 'gift'.... and in fact I've just been playing around with the levels and cropping and I'm beginning to see how with a couple of simple adjustments, it can dramatically improve a photo. I'll try to get them on here shortly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

How about these ? Next time I'll upload them smaller !

Before :

After :

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:13 pm 
Vast improvement IMHO.
Then if you darken the highlights (in CS - Image, Adjustments, Shadow/Highlight) you'll bring out the dust and grass.
Then sharpen slightly.
And I've upped the master saturation, which overpowered the blues, so reduced the blue saturation.
You get this...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

That's amazing, Pareloopy - you've brought out the contrast in the stones as well. The photo did have a lot of blue and black in it, so I suppose it was bound to dominate.

How do you sharpen - where do you look for it ?
I understand about the colour saturation and know where to find that.
I've now started looking at my photos and wondering how I can improve them.......!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:28 pm 
In PS.
Filter, Sharpen, Unsharp mask. I had settings of Amount 99%, Radius 0.8 pixels, Threshold 4 levels.
Normally straight out of the camera you'd get away with Threshold 0 levels, but as this pic had been adjusted a few times it was best to up the threshold. Also if you scanned slides or prints, it's best to up the Threshold so the sharpening doesn't get too grainy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Aha, I've found it !
I'm cutting 'n pasting all the info onto a Word document so that I can refer it until I know what I'm doing.
Thanks, Pareloopy !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 pm 

Thanks Dr O and Pareloopy. This is so helpful.

I have the same problem as Raffles, so many of my photos seem to lose their edge. I can now see there is a lot one can do after taking the photo - need to explore that much more.

Do any of you have a view about when to take the photo eg is it good to take scenic photos in the early morning when the light is more subtle? (Obviously there's not much choice about the time for shots like the horses!)

I like the idea of the 8 shots Blaze for close-ups of insects - do all modern digital cameras have this?

Demi like you I so miss a viewfinder! I haven't a clue what I'm taking most of the time - just hope for the best and crop afterwards - I would apply the rule of thirds if I could see! The more I talk about this, the more I realise how daft it is to be using a camera that so frustrates me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:19 pm 
SPJ wrote:
Thanks Dr O and Pareloopy. This is so helpful.

I have the same problem as Raffles, so many of my photos seem to lose their edge. I can now see there is a lot one can do after taking the photo - need to explore that much more.

Do any of you have a view about when to take the photo eg is it good to take scenic photos in the early morning when the light is more subtle? (Obviously there's not much choice about the time for shots like the horses!)

I like the idea of the 8 shots Blaze for close-ups of insects - do all modern digital cameras have this?

Demi like you I so miss a viewfinder! I haven't a clue what I'm taking most of the time - just hope for the best and crop afterwards - I would apply the rule of thirds if I could see! The more I talk about this, the more I realise how daft it is to be using a camera that so frustrates me.

Almost without exception. When the sun is high in the sky the scene often looks washed out. When the sun is lower in the morning or evening it sidelights some features and casts shadows which makes other features in the landscape stand out and adds much definition generally to the terrain. This is very noticeable in desert and beach scenes. The light is softer and warmer. The best way to appreciate the differences it is to capture the same scene at different times of the day. Also revisit under different weather conditions which can really make a scene - some sunken valley mist or a dramatic sky, for example.

The middle of a sunny day with clear blue skies seems like an ideal time to take a photo, but put the camera away and wait for something more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:06 pm 

dr orloff wrote:

Almost without exception. When the sun is high in the sky the scene often looks washed out. When the sun is lower in the morning or evening it sidelights some features and casts shadows which makes other features in the landscape stand out and adds much definition generally to the terrain. This is very noticeable in desert and beach scenes. The light is softer and warmer. The best way to appreciate the differences it is to capture the same scene at different times of the day. Also revisit under different weather conditions which can really make a scene - some sunken valley mist or a dramatic sky, for example.

The middle of a sunny day with clear blue skies seems like an ideal time to take a photo, but put the camera away and wait for something more interesting.

That's why I take better pictures in winter. Don't have to get up so early to get the good light! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:12 pm 
I really should make the effort.
Only once have I got up really early to take some photos. If I remember correctly, up at 2am, drove to Burnsall, near Grassington to be ready for the sunrise. It was frosty, sky was clear and I got some cracking results.
Looking forward to retirement, when I can spend more time with my camera. (Oops - and Mrs P, of course :- )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:41 am 

dr orloff wrote:
Almost without exception. When the sun is high in the sky the scene often looks washed out.

This was a day when I didn't put the camera away and should have done.

Any suggestions what I should / could have done here? Apart from not take the photo! I used "intelligent ISO" setting on my lumix - obviously the strong sunlight / contrast was too much for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:43 am 

Pareloopy wrote:
I really should make the effort.
Only once have I got up really early to take some photos. If I remember correctly, up at 2am, drove to Burnsall, near Grassington to be ready for the sunrise. It was frosty, sky was clear and I got some cracking results.
Looking forward to retirement, when I can spend more time with my camera. (Oops - and Mrs P, of course :- )

Sounds to me like you do make the effort! TWO AM!!!! I think I'm doing well when I get up at seven. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 pm 

Love the dog sitting on 2 steps down near the beach SPJ :O3

Raffles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

SPJ, there's no rule that says you shouldn't use flash during the day.

This is a shot where the reeds would have been in the dark if I hadn't forced the camera to flash.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 pm 
SPJ
That 2am early rise was a one-off. Never since repeated!!

Regarding your photo. Your camera has got the background nearly spot on exposure-wise - perhaps a tad light. If it had exposed for the foreground everything else would have been really washed out.
As HWH says, I think I would have popped up the flash for this one.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next