It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Formula E - is it the big future for motorsports?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 pm 

Earlier this week the British government announced that the sale of petrol and diesel cars will be banned from 2040, suggesting that the future of conventional motoring will rely heavily on alternative power sources, be that electric, hydrogen or a plutonium-powered nuclear fission reactor ... if anyone can find a suitable DeLorean by then.

This week we see two major manufacturers pitching their keys into the middle of the room to play Formula E; the all-electric FIA-sanctioned series that's proving a breakaway success.

On Monday Mercedes announced that the three-pointed star would be absent from the DTM at the end of next year. It's almost unthinkable to consider the DTM - Germany's premier crowd-puller - without Mercedes, yet the national brand won't be there for the first time in over 30 years, and it departs to join Formula E. That leaves just Audi and BMW to contest the headline series ... yet Audi announced last season that it was giving up on it's most successful period in sportscar racing (13 wins in the Le Mans 24 Hours) ... to play with electric cars.

Now we're on the eve of hearing an announcement from Porsche that it too is about to close the doors on Le Mans at the end of what will be another hugely successful season for the Stuttgart marque, with wins in the24 Hours and a succession of victories in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) that look set to give Porsche the title come the end of the year. And where will their attention turn now? Formula E, of course.

Attachment:
formula_e_paris_01.jpg

This will make Formula E look like the who's who of motor manufacturing, with factory teams from Audi, Renault, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche and Venturi ... OK, perhaps Venturi's not a household name, but the French sportscar manufacturer was a mainstay of GT racing back in the Nineties! Sponsors too are jumping ship elsewhere to join the bandwagon - top names like Virgin, DHL, VISA, Allianz, TAG Heuer, Deutsche Post, Panasonic, Avis, Lear and BMW (hinting perhaps at yet another of the leading manufacturers already toeing the water) have already signed contracts. Several of these have left Formula 1 to feature on Formula E's single-seaters.

So, the future's clearly electric. Can't say it does a great deal for me – without the noise of all that raw power, that pit-of-the-stomach churning when a rumbling V8 bellows by, it all seems a bit … tame? However, there's no denying that the manufacturers think it's the right way to go.

If you've never watched a Formula E race, the next one is coming up this weekend from Montreal, and will be shown live on Spike (Freeview Channel 31), with highlights on Channel 5. It will be on Canal+ Sport in France.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, it's the Spa 24 Hours this weekend, and every bit as thrilling as Le Mans … but with more cars!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Foruma E - is it the big future for motorsports?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 pm 

Watched the Monaco E1 and took one of the grandsons - enjoyed by all. Not for petrol heads

Picture attached of a small shunt. It's probably too big, but attaching rightsized pictures is a bit of a PITA these days. If anybody wants more pictures, I've got loads.

Attachment:
WP_.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:25 pm 

If you are in W10, resizing is easy to do. [One of the few things I use where I see an advantage of W10.]

Open the picture and press the edit button.
This will open a new window with the picture and there is a resize button towards the left of the command buttons.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 am 

I can't get my head round Forumla E. OK so they may be quick, but to me its like watching scalextrix cars. The only good thing is we don't have to wait for them to charge the batteries up when they do a pit stop!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/967912876580746/ SWAT South West Animal Team fundraisers

http://www.closfleurionline.com The home from home for your cat whilst you are on holiday

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 am 
Site Admin

thelastoneout wrote:
If you are in W10, resizing is easy to do. [One of the few things I use where I see an advantage of W10.]

This will open a new window with the picture and there is a resize button towards the left of the command buttons.

Alternatively, you can wait for a handy Mod to do the job ;)

Post subject: Re: Formula E - is it the big future for motorsports?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:13 am 

As expected. confirmation of Porsche's decision came through this morning, and I was surprised to hear coverage on Radio 4's Today programme.

It is a significant development, and one that will have remifications, not only for Le Mans, the WEC, and sportscar racing in general, but also Formula 1. Now that Formula E has significantly more manufacturer input than F1, the media, both TV and print, will follow. They in turn will then draw away the major sponsors (as has already started to happen) and then the impact on F1 will really begin to show.

Currently, the top flight drivers are not yet feeling the pull, but it may not be long before we start seeing high profile names appearing alongside the cockpit of a Formula E single-seater.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 am 

thelastoneout wrote:

I'm on W10 and the default program for pictures is 'Photo'. Unfortunately when I click edit I can't see a resize option.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 pm 

DaveW wrote:
thelastoneout wrote:

I'm on W10 and the default program for pictures is 'Photo'. Unfortunately when I click edit I can't see a resize option.

Don't open the picture. Go to your files and click once on the picture to highlight it. Still in the files page, press edit. This opens a new page with the chosen picture. In this page you can change the size.

Took me ages to find it (like you I originally tried to do things from the opened picture), but once found this route has proven very useful.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:56 pm 

Andy - thanks for that. Learn something new every day :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 pm 

Going back to the original thread - a correction on my part. BMW is already committed to Forumla E from next season, and has been working closely with Team Andretti since the start of this year, so that's another manufacturer directly involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:29 pm 

sueindoors wrote:
I can't get my head round Forumla E. OK so they may be quick, but to me its like watching scalextrix cars. The only good thing is we don't have to wait for them to charge the batteries up when they do a pit stop!

I found it good to watch, there's lots of overtaking. They don't charge or change the battery, just change the car half way through. I think with more high profile manufacturers ($$$) involved and technology advances it will become a bigger draw. They do have a bi-annual slot at Monaco and will probably get more/bigger venues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 pm 

I have only seen little bits of Formular E and it looks to be good stuff and to say that it's not the same because of the noise is like saying a good tasting pint of English trad beer is off because it isn't as clear as Britfizz larger crap!

There has been boat loads of winging because last years F1 ddn't sound loud enough? Then the foist thing that happens is that everyone is told to use ear defenders to protect their hearing?

Yes, it's different, but it's still exciting and i think it's the way ahead. One of the bitches tha I have with it is that Dyson has just recently said that he is going to go into electric cars. He's bought up a huge lump of the old R.A.F Hulivington airfield wit the idea of an R&D base for battery tech and electric cars. To produce 3000 jobs for the area!

So what's my bitch? My bitch is that we would like to move ther when we leave here in France later this year and the bloody house prices will probably go through the roof :O3 :O3 :O3 :O3

My moral to the story is that I drink my beer with my mouth and not my eyes and I see my racing with my eyes and not my ears :-bd :-bd

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1