Post subject: Re: Tips on selling?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 am 

Blaze wrote:
MAD87 wrote:
Papibryn wrote:
PS not quitting like so !many are you?

Certainly not! Where would we go? :lol:

That's our feeling !

And ours, but recently, since the wife wrote off the 2nd car we realised just how isolated we were in the countryside. When my car was off the road we had ro rely on friends & neighbours but it is very awkward.

Wouldn't swap it for a town though. Instead I am thinking about resurrecting the Piaggio 3 wheeler van, just for emergencies and the occasional convenience. But to only use sparingly, pottering along country lanes at lower speeds than the lorries is a bit of a clencher. :shock:

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 pm 

2016 was vry quiet, but talk this year has been of a resurgence in interest in buying foreign property including in France. Some think that buying before Brexit actually happens will be asier than after. Is it just agents just trying to get people interested or has anyone noticed it actually happening.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 am 

I've noticed an increase in buyers - English and Dutch - round our area in the last few months. But we still have a few friends who have been trying to sell for years with no success, plenty of interest but no-one offering up the money. Doesn't help when estate agents tell them to reduce the price again.

I've had 5 new customers this year that are Brits who have just moved over here, and they brought now because they think it will be easier than after Brexit. One couple didn't intend to buy until 2020 when they 'retire' properly but thought it best to get something now and at least they'll have a foothold on the French property ladder.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/967912876580746/ SWAT South West Animal Team fundraisers

http://www.closfleurionline.com The home from home for your cat whilst you are on holiday

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:39 am 

sueindoors wrote:
Doesn't help when estate agents tell them to reduce the price again.

Probably sound advice - everything will sell at the price a buyer is willing to pay - and that has to be relative to other properties on the market.

BUT!

French Estate Agents. They are AWFUL in my experience. Two weeks to reply to multiple requests for a viewing. Often don't reply to requests for information. Scant particulars. No floor plans in descriptions. Lousy photos. Extortionate rates (I guess to cover their uselessness).

Maybe people just get fed up and look elsewhere?

J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 pm 

One problem for me is that I did not buy what many traditionally buy in France to retire, ie somewhere not near shops etc, and with lots of land to maintain. I reasoned that it would be better to be in a small town with shops etc and no land to maintain, and then when I was old, it would be easier. I still think that is a better option for many looking to retire to France, but most may think they will stay fit enough, and only realise when it is too late.
I though agency charges were fixed in French law, one reason they probably don't work that hard to get sells. The agents I have dealt with appear to be part time, and are more interested in local French market.
There appears to be lots of advice on how to buy property (at exhibitions etc), but little about how to sell. Not helped by some of the new hurdles sellers have to jump through.
I think financial/political uncertainly can work both ways. Some think it puts people off, but when my parents sold up in 2007/8, the big crash had just happened and some were panicking to buy anything rather than leave their money in the bank. Not that the house was not worth it, but it sold in only a few weeks/months.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 am 

It's definitely a buyer's market. I'm ready to slash the price of our house, OH is more hesitant. We've had 3 agents, 2 English (hopeless) and our French agent (very hard working, very proactive). I'm now going to get rid of the English agents (who charge 2.5 x the commission of the French) and give the French one exclusivity.
The barrier we keep coming up again is that French buyers want one big open space downstairs rather than several rooms, never mind the small detail of load-bearing walls....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 am 

As an aside, make of it what you will, I have had a mail alert from one of the property websites for ex-pats.

Two of the three properties listed were "to finish".

Cold feed? Strong Euro / under budgeted? Brexit worries?

J

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 am 

niemeyjt wrote:
As an aside, make of it what you will, I have had a mail alert from one of the property websites for ex-pats.

Two of the three properties listed were "to finish".

Cold feed? Strong Euro / under budgeted? Brexit worries?

J

Having been here for 30 years and in the "gite" business for over 20, we have seen a lot of that, partly "finished" lost count of the number of guests who said isn't it wounderful just like we would like to do.
Then buy on the spur not doing any research and find that its not just sitting by a pool, life has to go on with its many problems same as in the UK, more so when they no Parler la langue.

Very sad really.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:31 am 
Site Admin

Our's is still "to finish" after 13 years living here. Lack of funds and having to work for a living makes it a slow old job! Especially when ideas change as you're going along!

Some don't finish on purpose to keep the tax fonciere down too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 pm 

I've lost track of the number of kitchens OH has replaced for clients various, but of course ours is still the one that was in the house when we bought it in 1990! The oven & hob were replaced in around 1995, and some minor works done but all the units are still the same & functioning, if a tad tatty and certainly not à la mode. The style will be back in fashion if I wait long enough :lol:
Bathroom ditto :( and I've never liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

We didn't have a proper kitchen in our last house for 7 years - there was nothing there except an old sink. We made do with workshop shelves, some old units we had and chipboard :lol:

The kitchen here hadn't been touched for at least 40 years. Dark brown floor tiles, dark brown beams (not original), dark brown kitchen cupboards and a china sink that was cracked and pitted - it was grim, real chez grandmère stuff. The wiring and plumbing had been cobbled too. But we're cracking on with it and it's already unrecognisable from what it was - it's light and bright now !