It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Tips on selling?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:12 pm 

So..... We have our house for sale with one agent until end of August then we will expand to a couple more. So far 7 viewings in 3 months, not bad. We have just put an advert on Green Acres and this has generated a lot of requests (14) for further details so worth the small fee so far, though turning a request into a sale is the tricky bit!
We have had a couple of second viewings so hopefully someone will bite soon...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Best of luck, Datz ! Our house was on the market for almost 3 years and we had only one offer - the one we accepted !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:36 pm 

Different country I know, and different political circumstances, but, we had our flat near Nottingham on the market for 3 years, only 3 viewings and no offers.

When we moved here permanently the flat was sold before the estate agent had done the photos, or any advertising, in the shop or elsewhere, and a young man walked in on the first morning and paid the asking price. :))

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:18 pm 

When talking to friends down here they said that selling would take time. Unfortunately one of the two agents here appears to have closed. i went to see the other, we conversed by google translate, which is novel(how long before we have fully translating devises which use speach?) . Agent was not optomistic, poppped round today and gave a quote I think was too low. They may be local, but sometmes wonder if you need someone from outside area.
I had been receiving emails from one agent,so emailed them.Unfortunately they said they did not quite cover up to our town, but only just out of their area, odd,mabe they don't want the business.

I remembered one piece of advice from somone, posibly in a magazine or on TV. That ws to look round and see which companies were on for sale boards. Only one I had noticed was the one without a local office now, so not sure. Website still said they were in business and had a local office.
I had noticed a couple of other houses for sale, and this time remembered the agent. Googled it when gt back to house, and they seem to have quite a few for sale in the town,a good sign, and have contacted them via their website. They had at least 2 which were sold subject to contract, and one recent addition(i saw this house, and position wise is not much better than mine on main road), so I am a bit more confident.
When it boils down what ever agent you use, if the right person appears at right time then the house can be sold easily.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

rue_d_etropal wrote:
When it boils down what ever agent you use, if the right person appears at right time then the house can be sold easily.

Got it in one, RdE - a "coup de coeur".
It's just a matter of waiting until that person turns up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 am 

one reason I am looking at multiple options. just waiting for another agent to get backto me.
I was looking through old photos, including those on day I first saw the house, and the English chap who had sold me the house had used an online website, but interestingly he put a sign on house with his email address.
Many of the other houses I have seen in town, being sold privately I assume only have a telephone number. I am alo wonderin if it is better to use a dot com or dor co dot uk one. The uk one is a better email address but I think the uk part might put some off as well as making it more obvious the house is not occupied.

When I have looked at info from some bigger agets online they all ask for the technical check up first, but no info on how to get one. I think I am OK on electrics as it is less than the 15 year stimulated, and I am sure I still had to have the asbesdos etc checks done when I bought the house. Am I allowed to advertise online without this being done?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:53 am 

Our estate agent advertises houses where it clearly states that the diagnostic checks have not yet been done. I think they are only valid for 6 months, so with the average time to sell in this part of France being much more than that, a further test or tests would be required if having an active report was a necessity while it is put on the market.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 am 

it does seem pointless having a test which is only valid for 6 months, and then has to be redone, simply because it is normal for houses to take more than 6 months to sell.
I can't see much changing with a house with respect to asbestos, as noone would put it in a house.
Only regulation which has come in relates to smoke detectors, and those are easy too install. I have one installed, so assume that is OK. Mind you given how long some houses take to sell, the batteries would probably not work.

I am not against testing , or safety compliance, but sometimes it is more for the piece of paper, than to actually make it safer. On a similar issue is there an equivalent of PAT testing in France. Andy you know why I ask, given the crazy way some authoities require it in UK, when the H&S people say they are not happy with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

The diagnosics go into great detail about; for example, electricity. They are a useful guide for a buyer. The person who does the diagnosics doesn't look behind cloisons or dig too deeply, just stating what he sees. He can't tell, for example, if the pipes underground are lead

In our experience, if you get the same company back after the time period lapses, they will not generally re-inspect and only charge a nominal call out fee.

As long as the smoke alarm works for the inspection, no problem !

PAT testing ..... :-?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:47 pm 

Blaze said
Quote:
In our experience, if you get the same company back after the time period lapses, they will not generally re-inspect and only charge a nominal call out fee.

I think that just about proves how much it is box ticking. Although I would not expect anything to change there ould have been something which damaged electrics. The info I saw said they only checked electrics if over 15 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:58 am 

Just been talking to the British chap who works for the agency I contacted. He said that Brexit has slowed down market at the moment, but hopes that when the i's and t's have been properly dotted and crossed then he would expect more Brits to be making enquiries about buying in France. It is the uncertainty that is causing the problem and best thing is to not panic, yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:55 pm 

So.... 7 months and 12 viewings later, we have an offer on the house and not too much under our asking price.
We only had it with one immo and Green Acres. Greenacres generated a lot of enquiries and 4 of the 12 viewings so worth the small investment I think.
We were going to drop the price and expand to 3 immo's in the spring, so this late autumn offer is very timely.
Just have to sit tight until the Compromis is signed now!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:58 pm 

Looking good.

Fingers crossed for you.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:00 am 

How well does Greenacres compare to other online property selling sites?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Nice one datz! Fingers crossed for a smooth sale for you.

%%-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:22 am 

We only used Greenacres so I haven't anything to compare it to. But for £99 we generated a lot of enquiries that turned into 4 viewings eventually. The market locally is mainly French then Dutch and Belgian, not many Brits, so the country and language specific Greenacres sites worked very well for us.
Our Immo has been very good! They are an old established family firm and speak very little English but are well thought of in the area.
Their website is horrible however and we wanted to have a decent online site for the house, hence Greenacres.
The house is under offer to a local who works away in Lyon for Orange, but will work from home 2 days a week after moving here. He was looking for a remote house in the forest and that's us! Only initial problem was Orange had to confirm that our broadband connection was good enough for home working. Apparently our crappy 2mb. connection is fine! :o
We are moving to Northumberland and are off on a house hunting trip in a couple of weeks, we won't be buying again at UK prices so back to renting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:21 am 
Site Admin

That's great news, Datz. Northumberland is beautiful so I hope you find somewhere nice !

There was a time when I thought it was always best to buy if you could. However, I remember the feeling of freedom when we lived in service married quarters - no worries about maintenance as long as you have a good landlord. Today, however, I don't think in quite the same way, probably something to do with age and the fact that we don't have children to leave all our worldly goods to. Buying and trying to sell can be extremely stressful and sometimes the alternative could be a far better idea, allowing you to move as and when you like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:54 am 

I am sad you are selling - I have enjoyed reading your 750 metres blog.

J

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:58 am 

niemeyjt wrote:
I am sad you are selling - I have enjoyed reading your 750 metres blog.

J

Thanks, I really enjoyed doing it, and the garden is one of the things we are most proud of here. I'll be doing a wrap up post next month I think. As sale or no we are moving back in January.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you'll leave the blog in place - it's amazing how much you've done there in difficult circumstances. I've picked up several useful ideas !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:22 pm 

Blaze wrote:
I hope you'll leave the blog in place - it's amazing how much you've done there in difficult circumstances. I've picked up several useful ideas !

Thanks Blaze, yes it will stay. It's a useful journal and reminder for us of our time here.
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:57 pm 

Lucky you, moving to Northumberland !
That's where we would like to move to eventually as we have family in that area.
I was looking at some houses a few months ago - Rothbury is probably my favourite place. But we're not planning to leave yet.
Hoping your house sale progresses smoothly, good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:11 pm 

Seems to me that so many are leaving? Good luck to those who are but for ourselves life is here in France till the end no matter what.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

We're here for the duration too, Papi.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:52 pm 

No plans to move either - but of course, never say never.

But as of today we are as close to the perfect location as we are ever likely to find.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

That sounds interesting, lastoneout - have you just moved ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:06 pm 

Not really.

Bought in 2003 as holiday home but with long term thoughts of being our retirement home.

Spent a lot renovating and getting it to the state we wanted - probably more than we could recoup if we were to sell, but that is the cost of tailoring a property to your personal need and wants. As far as we are concerned the property has no financial value until we decide to sell it, and we have no plans to sell it. The expenditure is therefore of no importance.

OH moved permanently in 2008 while I commuted each weekend from my place of work in Germany and later Marseille.

In 2013 I retired and the house became our joint permanent home.

We are in a small village, somewhat off the beaten track: No public transport (which could become a problem later perhaps): local subsidised store and post office for emergencies, but nearest Supermarket is a 22km round trip: Nearest proper hospital is 45km away - we have a hospital 10km away but it is little more than an old folks home and is served on a rota basis by the local doctors.

So this is most certainly not everyone's dream of a perfect location.

What we do have is permanent space to indulge our hobbies, place to put up visitors when they arrive in summer, a good garden area to grow many of our veg and fruit, space to shelter our cats - which have become a lot more than we planned as various* stray have arrived and made themselves comfortable.

* various = an awful lot. We started with 3 rescues from the UK who had been dragged around Europe. Very quickly a local tagged on, followed by a pedigree Birman, who produced kittens before we could establish that she did not seem to belong to anyone else - crazy or what? Now at 17 of which we have positively chosen 2. We have a policy that provided the cats fit in and do not create unnecessary friction with those already here, if we can afford to feed them they can stay. In return they get sterilised and their annual injections - except the two who are so timid that they cannot be handled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:06 am 
Site Admin

That sounds positively idyllic .... particularly for the cats !

It's interesting how ideas can change over the years. We lived in a beautiful, forested area for 18 years but have always missed the sea. We found exactly what we wanted last year though it does need a fair amount of modernising as some rooms like the kitchen and our bedroom hadn't been touched for over 30 years. Like you, we wanted plenty of space for our various hobbies, room for people to come and stay and plenty of outside storage and room for the dogs to run about. Best of all is that we have views back and front, something we didn't have in the last house as we were surrounded by trees and forest .... and we're about 500m from the sea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:58 pm 

Taken the plunge and put advert on Greenacres. getting registered took 3 attempts. I am sure I did everything correctly, but I think there might be something not quite working. Also I decided to check terms and conditions, and got an error message back. The payment system was very smooth though. Took ages toload photos . Done now, so have to wait and see what happens.

As house is only partly restored, not sure who it would appeal to. I got impression from the French agents I had round, that it was not to French taste, but then I have moved on from fitted kitchens etc, and from my experience of buying and selling loads of stuff on ebay, something which people think they can improve or fix and therefore might make money on actually sell easier than something in perfect condition which is less likely to make money.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:04 pm 

It's really difficult to know what buyers want, RdE. We've had an ad on GE since April - lots of requests for more info, 3 viewings, one very enthusiastic but no offers.
Our house has been on and off the market for about 18 months, according to our mood :lol: 2 of the first 3 agents we had were useless, the other brought along folk to view. We remandated the latter agent again recently and have had several visits (always French, usually young). They all want to knock down the 60cm stone load-bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room, and in one case, all the walls. Even the agents rolled their eyes at that.
Recently, we had a local to view the house - she's coming back tomorrow. She saw our 'A vendre' panel on the gate and rang up....I bought the panel on line after someone somewhere said that's how they'd sold.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:42 pm 

MAD87 wrote:
It's really difficult to know what buyers want, RdE. We've had an ad on GE since April - lots of requests for more info, 3 viewings, one very enthusiastic but no offers.
Our house has been on and off the market for about 18 months, according to our mood :lol: 2 of the first 3 agents we had were useless, the other brought along folk to view. We remandated the latter agent again recently and have had several visits (always French, usually young). They all want to knock down the 60cm stone load-bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room, and in one case, all the walls. Even the agents rolled their eyes at that.
Recently, we had a local to view the house - she's coming back tomorrow. She saw our 'A vendre' panel on the gate and rang up....I bought the panel on line after someone somewhere said that's how they'd sold.

Good luck Mad, hope you get a buyer.
Our property in the Lot is still on the market after four years and have dropped the price to cost price to us, with two French agents who have put it on gr, ac. Bloody brexit hasn't helped.
It's the tax fonciere and insurance which puts a hole in the pocket.
Thinking of advertising in the UK ourselves.
When we finally sold our b/b gite business back in 2007 it took 3 years and no crises as now.
PS not quitting like so !many are you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:57 pm 

Papibryn - 2006-7 was a great time to sell. We sold our first house here in Nov. 2006 with a good profit. Then bought this one for half the price - paid off some debts.
The market is completely different now, apart from some areas, I think. I don't think ours would ever sell (husband disagrees.) There's no work around here, and many country houses like ours for sale.
So we're here for the duration, make the the best of Brexit, if it happens, and join CMU.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:17 pm 

area does make a difference. One reason for buying the house in a town was because shops were easy to get to, no need to get car out etc, and the wonderful countryside , good for walking, is only a 15min walk from centre of town. No land to maintain, so good for occasional visits.
Town is just about within range of Beziers for commuting, as there is an early bus, presumably for that very purpose. Weather is better than many parts of more popular parts of France. Many are shocked at how cold winter can be. Not that it has not been cold on occasions, but that was February 2012, when even Provence got down to minus 10 degrees.
It is not an area known to many from outside France. My cousin's husband recommended the route through the town as a more pleasant road than going by motorway, and he was right, especially as I was in my parent's old 2CV at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:57 pm 

Well Simon.
That's OK for those not used to countryside, myself born and bred on a farm I just couldn't hack it in or even near a town.
Being in the building trade, either constructing,buying or selling for over 50 years I am well aware of the ups and downs of the industry and survived a number of slumps before coming to France nearly 30 years ago but this one is the worst in my life, but every thing sells in time it's just a case of waiting and enjoying another glass ( or six) of the red Neckar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:13 am 

Papibryn wrote:
MAD87 wrote:

PS not quitting like so !many are you?

Certainly not! Where would we go? :lol:
We plan to move about 40 mins from here, to be very near No.1 child and much nearer 2 and 4. We've never stayed so long in one place (17 years) but it's definitely time to move back to a town. The place we've earmarked has everything, but curiously slightly lower taxe foncière than here (and here is cheap!).
We slashed the price a month ago, but below the current level will need a lump from savings to buy what we want. Economic uncertainty and a saturated market seems to be the killer - even in our small commune there are quite a few properties for sale, and the drift to the cities continues.