It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Termite report/test
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Anyone know of a rough estimate for the cost of these reports before the Compromis de Vente can be drawn up?

I'm thinking it's around 100€?

Post subject: Re: Termite report/test
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 am 
Site Admin

I think if you ring a diagnostic company, they may give you an indication of the cost. We were given an idea of the cost of a total diagnostic before having one .....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 am 

Get 3 devis if you can - there are apparently huge differences from one company to another.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

I've sent out devis requests to three fairly local firms. Don't want to use the guy in our village - he wasn't honest when he was the vendor who sold our house to us, so if that's anything to go by ...... :- :-q

The building in question is mainly concrete and metal anyway - so anymore than 100€ would be daylight robbery ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 pm 

The estimate for our farm house in the Lot was 100e for termite and 750e in total, bloody rip of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 pm 
Termite test:

Take long screwdriver, stick it in the base of any timber at ground level, if it is isn't soft and the screwdriver can't pierce through, then no termite. €100 please, thank you !! And if there is termites, then prepare for a nice big bill and a guarantee not worth a dime !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

There's a small amount of timber (old pine boards) on part of the upstair area - this is a commercial shed basically. Half of those pine boards have already been removed by someone who decided they were good enough to install in our kitchen as backing for the breakfast bar ..... :D They look mighty fine too!

Nice easy job for some termite tester then! :-? Easy money or what! 8-|

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:38 pm 
Sure is, if there is no wood at the base of the building then there won't be any termites. Another French job for the boys !!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 am 

Basil wrote:
Sure is, if there is no wood at the base of the building then there won't be any termites. Another French job for the boys !!!

Wrong basil, Termites wil eat their way through lime/earth mortar as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 am 
OK, perhaps I should have said at the first point of wood being present from the ground.

Why are termites a problem?
Termites feed on wood and in the wild serve an important function by converting dead trees into organic matter. However, when they feed on the wood in buildings, they can cause structural damage. They tend to attack wood that is close to the ground and eat from the inside out, defying detection for years. By building ingenious mud tubes, termites can cross many feet of concrete, brick, cinder block, treated wood, or metal termite shields, making it possible to reach the upper floors of a structure. They also eat other forms of cellulose, including books.

It's not so much eating lime/earth mortar etc as such but on their way to attack/eat the timber in the house BUT it is the wood they seek to devour. Never experienced the lime mortar attack but seen several termite infestations whilst in the Dordogne. The people we knew who did the treatment for infestations, said that in the South West, for a huge percentage of the time, termites only ever started at the foot of wooden structures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:42 pm 

Yes agree, I should have said they attack mortar on their way to wood.
according to a local pest control expert they came into France at Bordeaux on imported wood, at St Denis pres Martel (Lot) they are endemic having come of trains carrying timber, same goes for Bretemoux/ Biars again from trains passing through.

For anyone buying and who hasn't seen the damage which they do, think of beautiful painted door liners and architrave and skirtings. Those infested will still look the same but on hitting or poking with a screw driver they will fall apart.
Joists can be almost powder inside so look for spinging floors.I write from experience having purchased a small cottage as an investment, it was only worth it because the place was being almost given away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Well, as none of the three had replied to my email (funny, sure I've seen a thread about that somewhere....), I rang them all today and got a price there and then ...

The two from the nearest town were 185/190€ TTC for a termite and asbestos report combined. (The building has an asbestos roof, and so it needs checking).

The "winner" was one from a nearby village - 150€ all in, lovely lady speaking nice, clear French...coming to do the test next week.

Stage 1 Complete .... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, here we go! No termites detected, or problems with the obvious asbestos....but a little concern with the grotty lino that floors the office area. That might contain asbestos ....might need testing as it's broken by the door (er, wear and tear!)....might need to charge lots more money! :-@

That lino is not more than 40 years old, but we have to proof. What's to stop us lifting the whole lot and disposing of it ourselves? Then the inspector has nothing to inspect?!! :-

Are they just looking to increase their bill? She already spent half the time with me on the phone to others! X(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 pm 

OH had to train in asbestos awareness training and strangely lino does have asbestos in but not one that has to be removed if in good condition !! so get rid !!! at the centre they had to monitor it every 6 months