It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A Tale Of Two (Or Three) Houses.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:37 am 
I heard this story yesterday;

I know two couples, they live about 80 metres frrom each other. Both have houses for sale, both using the same agents. When doing visits do the agents ever thing of showing both houses to potential buyers? No, only one house at a time because despite being similar in many ways, there are just one or two small differences that stop the agents thinking laterally to the point of "ooh, we might get a sale here"

Another one;

Someone had put their house for sale in a hamlet somewhere. The agent expressed some doubt because it was near a main road. Ages went by and no one came to visit the house. Suddenly one day there was a knock at the door. Someone wanted to see the house. They had heard from someone up the road (an aunt or something) that the house was for sale and the person wanted a house in the area. So, the unexpected visitor bought the house. The buyer had been to the agent but the house had never been proposed. It transpired that the agent had decided that they were not going to show the house to anyone based on their own opinions, not on what clients might be looking for.

Post subject: Re: A Tale Of Two (Or Three) Houses.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am 

Doesn't surprise me at all - I'm pretty sure some friends of ours are in exactly the same position re being on a road; the estate agents don't even bother mentioning it to prospective buyers. An agent we viewed properties through had to be really pushed into showing us some on his books. I often got 'no it's crap - you don't want to see that'! We had him trying to sell our house for a while but took it off his books when we realised how NOT into selling houses he was!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 am 
I think they are very complacent. The contracts with an agent, while good for one year, can be cancelled after three months. With this sword of some Greek guy hanging over them you'd have thought that at least they get some visits in during those three months.

Damocles, that's the chap though the sword was put there by Dionysius II .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 am 

Tip :idea:

If you think your agent isn't up to the job, get a friend or two to phone requesting details of property within a specific price range, a specific area, and other 'wants' which would put your house in the 'must view' category.

Or alternatively, get friend(s) to visit estate agent and request the same details while also looking to see how prominent the details/photograph of your property are displayed within the agency.
If the agent fails to mention your property in preference for similar within the same area, friend can report back to you immediately as you will be sat in car awaiting the results of your friend - the 'mystery shopper'.

If the results are not to your liking, you can then attack with both guns blazing immediately! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm 
Thanks Fourtrax but hopefully I will be going down there later to remind agent of three month thing. I am not alone though. There is a great mistrust of agents here.

The house is well displayed in the window.