It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Are Agents Worth Their Money?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:39 am 
Put house on sale a few weeks ago.

After a few days information was on sites of the agent and the notaire. Since, two visits little contact. Nothing heard from the notaires negociateress who as soon as the house was for sale went on holiday. The agent, never - rarely there, always the sign on the door 'visiting' but it doesn't do much when I see people looking in the window and there is no contact info. Across the road another agent who when visiting leaves address of other office, landline number, mobile number and e-mail address in the window. I now think that visiting means 'closed' .

Asked at the notaires, more than once, if the house could be put in the window, ouf, hard work, took a while to achieve that, and at the same time appeared in the window a sign saying that other properties are available to see inside or on the website :-? .

I dropped the price, alas there was no hurry by anyone to advertise the new price.

The contracts are for twentyfour months but can be revoked after three months. . . . . . be warned.

I know someone who has a house for sale (I know alot of people that have houses for sale) who finds that the agent misses out certain points in the house, just doesn't take people to all of the house.

I now have placed my own ads in various places and I feel I have an equal chance of selling, plus I'm cheaper :-bd (in lifes bargain basement me, wonder if I'm related to Titanic in the film 'The Knowledge' ?- I understand him :( ).

So, I think that the agents are too costly, in this day and age they should be looking at how to cut costs or to give morevalue for the price they charge.

Post subject: Re: Are Agents Worth Their Money?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately they probably jack up the commission to cover all the time waster customers. An English agent (on commission only) said they have more than 60% timewasters, and because they're only on commission, they put their all into trying to match up a buyer with a suitable home.

Agents on salaries might have more of a problem getting off their backsides!! :-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:19 pm 
Firstly, one should NEVER sign an exclusive contract with an agent.

The main problem in todays housing market certainly seems to be a lack of buyers, so more than ever an agent needs to work at gaining a sale but some will and some won't.

I would hope that having a small website of the house sale would help, advertising it then on private selling sites, good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:53 pm 

Have you put your house on "Le Bon Coin", Balham?
We got a lot of interest from there when we were selling.

PS - In the end, it was the (not very efficient) agent that sold our house to someone who saw a photo in their window "fell in love at first sight" and didn't haggle!

PPS - Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:09 pm 
My house is already there (le bon coin), put there by the agent.

Re; Timewasters, an idea, the agent shouldn't go to each house, each visit. Give the punter the address of the drum and off they go. Could save the agent a fortune in fuel, especially in rural areas.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:03 pm 

Do you have an A Vendre sign? That was what sold our house in the UK. I sold it, but only once I'd put up a sign.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:08 pm 
Whoa, hang on there . . . was thinking of agents in general here.

Kathy, have two for sale signs outside (one notaire, one agent). Was thinking of doing one with my mobile number on but signwriting not a strong point here. Too many sign can make one look desperate and the place look cheap I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 pm 
A friend put his house on the market about six weeks ago, both with agents and with "self advertising" web sites.

Quite a bit of interest from the web sites, but just one enquiry via the French agents, whom he describes as "useless", as well as being more expensive. He did have one offer from his private ad, but when the British couple got home, they found that their sale had fallen through. Since the early rush, it's gone very quiet.

Last year, we had a very large building plot for sale. We put it with a local, very reputable agent, who promised us the appropriate paper work would be with us within days. After three weeks and no papers, we contacted him (twice) to ask for the documentation, to which he replied, in effect "If you're going to hassle me, I rather not do business with you!"
Made an appointment with another agent, on arriving at his office, found him with a client only to be told, "I'm very busy now. Come back in two hours!"
Eventually sold the land via another, national chain, estate agent at much below the valuation which they, and two other agents had put on it.

Estate agents? A waste of space!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:23 pm 
Well, the notaires one and the other had done little so I have got someone who is not French, who works for a company whos owner is not French. Though the first twi do not know about the introduction of the third.

Agents here are full of eastern promise ("I'm telling you, Romford really is smashing, straight up") but in reality they are more way out west than Laurel and Hardy.