It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: T and F...What does it all mean?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:53 am 

We're house hunting, if this place ever sells :lol:

I'm keeping an eye on sites like the boncoin to get a feel for what's around, prices etc. we're after at least 3 bedrooms, ideally 4 and I've seen a few properties where the details simply state T6 or T8. I've a feeling this relates to the number of rooms other than kitchen and living room, am I right? In which case would I be safe(ish) to assume that a T6 or T8 would probably give us the space we are looking for?

Does anyone know what these terms mean? I did have a hunt on the Internet but it kept telling me about light bulbs :-s

Post subject: Re: T and F...What does it all mean?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it is irritating when you don't know what it all means.

T = Type.
The figure afterwards indicates the number of rooms excluding kitchen, bathroom(s) and loo(s).

A Type 6 or 8 would probably suit you fine :-bd .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:19 am 

Interesting info here

Tx-sizes and Fx-sizes

Another French norm is to advertise a property as "Tx", where "x" is a number (e.g. T2, T3, T4, and so on). This system is most commonly used for apartments rather than houses.

This method is essentially just a count of the number of rooms. So a T3 apartment is an apartment with 3 rooms. Note that this excludes bathrooms and toilets. So a T3 apartment may have a living/dining room, plus 2 bedrooms. A T1 would be a "studio" apartment.

The Tx system is only approximate as it does not provide any information on the size of the rooms. Also, it can be slightly ambiguous; for example a combined living/dining room counts as only one room but if one was to put a solid divider between them it would become 2 rooms.

In some parts of France one will see the "Fx" system instead of the "Tx". Both systems are identical, it is just that some parts of France use the letter "F" and some use the letter "T".

Fx versus xF

One may also come across the term "xF", which is completely different than "Fx". The "Fx" system is the number of rooms an apartment has (see explanation above) whereas "xF" is the number of "faces" that a house has. In the "xF" system, "F" stands for the French word "face", which is equal to the English term "side". So a "2F" house is a house that has two sides (in other words, it is a row house or terrace house). A "3F" house is an end of terrace house (otherwise known as semi-detached) as it has 3 sides. A 4F house is a detached house, as it has 4 sides (in other words, no adjoining houses).

http://www.france-property-and-informat ... 79d8b89c4e

I.C.U...............Jimmy........20/20 vision.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:32 am 

Thanks, that helps. I guess then a T6 could be a kitchen, bathroom, dining room, living room and 4 bedrooms... obviously I'd check with the agent before hand...

Why don't they just say?.....the lack of details and photos drives me mad..it's so easy to upload this information these days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 am 
It is easier to say / type F6 or T6 rather than;
minikmummy wrote:
a kitchen, bathroom, dining room, living room and 4 bedrooms...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:44 am 

Balham wrote:
It is easier to say / type F6 or T6 rather than;
minikmummy wrote:
a kitchen, bathroom, dining room, living room and 4 bedrooms...

I know :lol:

Still, they must put off some people with the lack of details, the more info you have the more you can hone into what you want to see.

Hey ho...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am 
But if you have six rooms you can configurate them how you want. You could have a living room and five bedrooms or three bedrooms, study, living room and dining room. Or two bedrooms, playroom, study, living room and dining room or (spam spam spam spam spam spam :lol: ).