It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Thoughts of a newbie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:29 pm 

Although I’m new to this forum I’m not new to the forum scene. To my mind the great strength of the forum format is that it can be advert free and topics can be easily tracked back in time. But the format can also be cumbersome and counter productive.

This forum has seven main sections. Each broken down into sub-sections. Sixty five in all. Twenty four of these sub-sections have not been active this year.

I don’t find this forum very user friendly. May I make some suggestions? Why not have a recent activity box on the front page showing which topics are currently active and giving a direct link to them. Prune the number of sections and sub-sections. I suspect that one section with maybe half a dozen sub sections will suffice. Delete all posts more than, say, two years old. Take a lesson from Facebook. After all it’s what most people prefer. Have the best of both worlds.

Emile

Post subject: Re: Thoughts of a newbie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:38 pm 

Hi Emile and welcome, there already is a link to active topics as well as unanswered posts which I always use above board index

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes it's a case of getting familiar with a new/different forum. Like Papi says, there are already options for "View active topics", and "View new posts" and suchlike. There is no need to trawl through all the Board Index. Plus, a handy hint for just looking at the latest post on a thread was discussed here:

http://thefranceforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26186

;;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:32 pm 

I would not support deleting old posts. Occasionally it can be very useful to refer back to previous discussions - and especially when these have onward links that you are trying to track down. There are also some superb photos scattered around the board and it wold be a shame to lose those in an unnecessary housekeeping exercise.

As to simplification, I can see merit in that - just provided that there are bodies to do the necessary housekeeping work and recategorise old posts.

There is however a danger in this and I don't know whether this board suffers from the feature - aka a bug to us non-technical people. The danger is that if you move, amend or make change to any post it will appear on the new posts list. Image waking up on a Monday morning and finding 200 new posts - most of which were not new at all but had just be placed somewhere else.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:01 pm 

Also several members have passed away over the years, it would be sad to lose their posts and the connection to them just to tidy things up

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:13 am 

I haven't been a member long and at first I was daunted by the number of post headings. I very nearly gave up but then found the 'view new posts' button and now find it a doddle. Persevere Emile - I've found it a very interesting forum with a vast amount of information on it and everyone seems so friendly.

:-bd :-bd

https://www.facebook.com/groups/967912876580746/ SWAT South West Animal Team fundraisers

http://www.closfleurionline.com The home from home for your cat whilst you are on holiday

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:56 pm 

sueindoors wrote:
I very nearly gave up but then found the 'view new posts' button and now find it a doddle.

:-bd :-bd

This is fine once you are logged in. But put yourself in the shoes of an outsider. Somebody looking at the site just out of interest. It appears not to be terribly user friendly.

But what do i know about anything?

Emile

Last edited by peake on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Closed the first quote bracket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:29 pm 

I only visit when tipped off by an email that there is a new post in a thread I have been involved in.

Once that is done I click on View Active Topics and check out everything new. It is so easy.

Some people may have noticed all the hoops I had to jump through to post photos and videos on here, especially after Photo****it dropped us in it, and I compared it to the absolute ease with which things are done over in the PAD forum (Dobermanns). However. Once over there in answer to an emailed thread update, I have to go through the whole forum before leaving. Can't leave anything till later.

Can't have everything. 8-|

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:25 pm 

This forum software is the gold standard. How it is implemented is upto the board admin, who have done a very good job, IMHO.

It's fast and well structured.

If you want to see a slow forum with Bronze standard software take a look at Frenchentree.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Dave :x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
Emile Deux wrote:
Although I’m new to this forum I’m not new to the forum scene. To my mind the great strength of the forum format is that it can be advert free and topics can be easily tracked back in time. But the format can also be cumbersome and counter productive.

This forum has seven main sections. Each broken down into sub-sections. Sixty five in all. Twenty four of these sub-sections have not been active this year.

I don’t find this forum very user friendly. May I make some suggestions? Why not have a recent activity box on the front page showing which topics are currently active and giving a direct link to them. Prune the number of sections and sub-sections. I suspect that one section with maybe half a dozen sub sections will suffice. Delete all posts more than, say, two years old. Take a lesson from Facebook. After all it’s what most people prefer. Have the best of both worlds.

Emile

May I make a few suggestions, as a forum poster, and not as admin

First, don't try and tell Andrew and the mods how to run the forum within the first week of being a member of the forum, it won't get you any "brownie points"

Second, the forum has been running for eight & a half years, and as other posters have said, some forum members have died, and it would be discourteous to them to remove their postings, because they all added strength to the forum, some with great knowledge, and the founder members do not want to lose that knowledge and would rather keep so that others can refer to the posting/s if needed

Third, it might not have struck you, that not all the members want to be Facebook users

Fourth, whilst I doubt if you knew, Andrew whilst owning the forum, takes a very back seat in running the forum, 99% of the time the forum runs itself, the mods who are unpaid, do step in for about the one percent of the time, when asked to by another member, like resizing photos, deleting duplicate postings, etc

Fifth, if I may say so, whilst you are most welcome here, if Facebook is more your style, don't let us detain you.

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:52 am 

:ymapplause: Peake.
Who in their right mind does faceache?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:13 am 

Papibryn wrote:

Certainly not me, twice bitten, thrice shy. X(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:52 am 

Papibryn wrote:

I would agree with the sentiment about those who post trite updates as to what they are doing at every moment of the day.

However, their developers site offers useful threat intelligence.

And back to original topic - as I recall the subject categories we designed to mirror those on the old Total France.

J

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:31 am 

I think Peake is being overly critical of our new member. Since when did experience have anything to do with your right to post?

I have posted views on legal aspects which on occasion Elstow has had to correct politely - and never with a "what do you know" type response.

I think my views on Facecrook will be well know to regulars and I made clear my views on deleting posts; however, how often do we use the regional information pages? I haven't looked but I would hazard a guess that most have not had a single posting in the last year. They had little use on the old TF but it seems even less here. [after I post this I will go away and check if I am right or not.]

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 am 

thelastoneout wrote:
I think Peake is being overly critical of our new member. Since when did experience have anything to do with your right to post?

I have posted views on legal aspects which on occasion Elstow has had to correct politely - and never with a "what do you know" type response.

I think my views on Facecrook will be well know to regulars and I made clear my views on deleting posts; however, how often do we use the regional information pages? I haven't looked but I would hazard a guess that most have not had a single posting in the last year. They had little use on the old TF but it seems even less here. [after I post this I will go away and check if I am right or not.]

I do often look back to check if a subject has been aired before and when, for my own use and to help someone else whether on here or or not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 am 

As I thought - just one "region" with posts this year. Some with no posts since 2009!

And of course the old regions do not correspond with the new ones (largely) and indeed in some cases the geography may have changed. I long argued elsewhere that Rhone Alpes is in SE France as it is here, but with Auvergne-Rhone Alpes as the new region I am much less certain that this can be described as SE France.

So there is merit in an update if that can be done within resources and without causing mass disruption (see earlier post) and it took a new set of eyes to point out what those of us who have been around for ages and have happily accepted as the norm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:26 am 
Site Admin

niemeyjt wrote:
And back to original topic - as I recall the subject categories we designed to mirror those on the old Total France.J

Not completely as we have made modifications over the years. It was originally set out for a much busier forum and sections were sometimes added at members' requests, like Cycling and Photography which are no longer active.
We sometimes get people joining for some advice, then we don't hear any more from them. Others join just for the free advertising of their gite or something they want to sell, though they are asked to contribute to the forum first !

Regions never seem to be busy on any forum but I wouldn't be surprised that if we removed them, someone would notice and want their region back again !

@ thelastoneout : I don't believe Peake was questioning a member's right to post. It seems that the member concerned had problems trying to join the forum which did not originate from our end, which naturally made us doubt his/her knowledge of forums. And as a new member, it might have been tactful to check out the forum first before coming up with helpful suggestions like the one below :
Quote:
I don’t find this forum very user friendly. May I make some suggestions? Why not have a recent activity box on the front page showing which topics are currently active and giving a direct link to them.

The Active Topics, New Posts and other links are already there, at the top of the Board Index page.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 pm 

I've only just discovered the more recent items posted here. My suggestion was for a recent activity box on the front page OPEN TO ALL and not requiring a sign in.

However this is now largely irrelevant. Having read the latest comments I've decided to call it a day.

Emile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:36 pm 

Emile Deux wrote:
I've only just discovered the more recent items posted here. My suggestion was for a recent activity box on the front page OPEN TO ALL and not requiring a sign in.

However this is now largely irrelevant. Having read the latest comments I've decided to call it a day.

Emile

You may not have read the latest comments here, that often happens to me, being away so often, but it seems that you haven't read the earlier posts either.

If you had, you would have seen pointed out to you that there is a recent activity box - 'View Recent Topics'

I use it all the time, my first port of call, and only very occasionally am I required to sign in. If you have had to do so then it would only be until you became a regular visitor. And, as you have only posted here (your own thread that you started) 3 times in almost 6 weeks, clearly you are not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm 

Just to add - on the login screen there is also an option to check to "remember" you which I think puts a cookie somewhere on your system.

I log in just once and check this box and it is good until I have the next system cleanup.

HTH

J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Emile Deux wrote:

I think you'll find that most forums will require you to sign in if you want to see recent activity - it all depends on how they're set up. Often, if you go onto a forum not logged in, you will get the main board page and have to hunt around from there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 am 

Double post error.

I am puzzled. I thought that my op was duplicated. I removed what I thought was the duplicate post with the above message and both posts seem to have disappeared.